Originally home to The Butlers of Dunboyne, the original Castle on the Dunboyne Estate was destroyed during the Cromwellian invasion of Ireland as a result of the family's refusal to convert to Protestantism. The Georgian house that we see today was completed in 1764 by Drogheda architect George Darley. Some of the finest works from the Lafranchini Brother's ornamental stucco plasterwork is on display. The ceiling over the staircase depicts the four elements to life at this time; War, Music, Education & Love.
The last of the Butlers to reside in the Castle was the 22nd Baron of Dunboyne John Butler, Catholic Bishop of Cork. Since then the Castle has passed through many families - the Butler-O’Briens, Sadlier, Morrough-Ryans and the Watchmans. In 1955, it became home to the Good Shepherd Sisters who remained here until 1991 when it was bought by the Keating family, before the Ross family bought it in 1999. It was in need of much repair and Seamus Ross and his Family lovingly restored the property to its original state and opened as Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa in 2006.
Dunboyne Castle Hotel was acquired by Mr. Thomas Röggla in December 2022. The hotel joined his collection of luxury Irish hotels forming the TMR Hotel Collection, including Farnham Estate Spa & Golf Resort, Harvey’s Point, Mount Wolseley, Aghadoe Heights and the Ballymascanlon Hotel & Golf Resort.